Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Latchkey Brilliance

Have you ever noticed that it is the simple things that sometimes revolutionize your life the most?

When I was a brand new mom, my diaper bag often consisted of 4,062 items that I may or may not possibly need at some point in Park's existence. Traveling light was not my cup of tea. While sitting at a restaurant with Chris one day, he realized that we didn't have enough silverware at the table. Without even having to bother a waiter, I simply reached into the trusty bag and whipped out alternate utensils.

Although Park wasn't capable of eating solid foods at the time, you can never be too prepared, right?

Back to the issue at hand, though. Storing my keys in my suitcase of a diaper bag was equivalent to dropping them into the Bermuda triangle and just hoping for the best. I stood in many a parking lots with Park on my hip, contemplating how well Chris would take to leaving work to drive across town and deliver a spare set of keys to his damsel in distress.

Thankfully, though, I never found out because I couldn't locate the cell phone to call him anyway.

And for those of you that know me in real life, you've now solved the mystery as to why you talk to my voice mail more than you talk to me. It's the bag's fault, people, THE BAG.

One day, though, my friend Kelly and I met up to walk the track around the lake at church and I noticed that her keys were magically attached to her Baby Bjorn. When I asked her about it she nonchalantly said she had put a clip on her key chain because latching them to her stroller, carrier, or diaper bag was the only way she could ever find them when necessary.

Kelly's simple brilliance is one of the reasons I love that girl so much. And I told her so in that exact moment.

Right after I chewed her out for not finding it necessary to share this life changing tip with me sooner. She laughed and said she figured I would have thought of it on my own because it was such a quick fix.

Fair enough.

However, if you are my long-lost sister, currently standing in a parking lot while unable to locate your keys, perhaps this post can serve as your life line. Other than the fact that if you are in said parking lot, you aren't at your computer hanging on my every word.

Now, I would be happy to call and give you this information one on one, except I haven't quite figured out how to keep my cell phone from disappearing into the Bermuda triangle.

And I'm guessing that if you're following in my key issue footsteps, you probably couldn't find yours in time to answer it even if I did.

Forget the key clip, folks. Maybe we should just all invest in a very small hand bag.

* For the key to finding other bags of WFMW tricks, head on over to Rocks in My Dryer. (Sorry, I couldn't resist the corny puns:)


5 comments:

Kathy said...

My problem isn't finding the keys, it's finding my vehicle. I ususally make the kids in charge of remembering where we parked, unfortunately they rarely rember either :}

Michelle said...

I do like this simple idea and admit I hadn't thought of it sooner either. I'll have to take a run by the store and see if I can locate a similar clip to make my life so much easier!

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

I do this and it absolutely makes my life so much easier. I have hooked it on my purse, diaper bag, stroller, belt loops on my pants or skirts, etc. Great tip!

Anonymous said...

And sometimes it is your simple posts that leave me laughing the hardest.

Love,
Gayle- (Current carrier of the suitcase diaper bag)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Great tip. I use a carabiner type clip.

Funny post.