Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Random Hodgepodge

After spending an entire summer clinging to his life jacket for dear life, Park informed me about 2 weeks ago that he can now swim. And before I knew what hit me, he flung off his flotation device and swam across the pool with his head immersed in the water. He came to the surface just long enough to flash me a proud grin, before taking off again.

Apparently, he knew what he was talking about.

He was dying to show off his new skills to all his cousins at his Splish Splash Bash, but unfortunately kiddie pools don't lend themselves to long distance, hard core swimming. Judging from this face, I don't think he minded all that much.
At the last minute, I also agreed to a party for a few of his closest friends at McDonald's, although it killed my soul to do so. I'm not really the fast food type since I'd rather eat my hand than a hamburger. But, in the end it was totally worth it because he was on top of the world. Somehow, his birthday dream had become a Ronald McDonald cake and special birthday plate, all of which came included in a very low priced birthday package.


Who am I to argue with that?

Although, I feel like we should make some sort of commission off all the future birthday parties that Park's buddies will be booking due to the way he sold them on the idea based on his enthusiasm. I even heard him say, "The only way to get such a special plate and have as much fun as me is to have your very own party here. That sounds awesome, huh? Be sure you let me come because I LOVE ice cream!"
Bridget informed me that if I gave the poor kid ice cream more often, perhaps he wouldn't feel the need to secure his place at anyones birthday party who would possibly consider inviting him. I reminded her that I was having his party at McDonald's for crying out loud, so surely she could give me props for small steps.

Speaking of Bridget, how is it that I have not let each of you know that the world is officially ending because she actually has a BLOG now?! Sarah and I had completely given up peer pressuring her because we were in total agreement that it was a lost cause.

And that is saying a lot since Sarah could talk a girl who hates cooking into attempting to be the next Julia Child. She has some serious gifts in the power of persuasion department. (BTW-I only know who Julia Child is since Sarah completely convinced me to see a movie about her life against my better judgement---a movie that I made sure she knew I did NOT enjoy--- do you see what I'm talking about here?

Most of you already know and love Sarah, but if you have a chance, stop by Bridget's blog and get a glimpse into the life of one of my other favorite friends.

And while you are at it, you might as well book your child a McDonald's party for their next birthday. (See, if I had Sarah's skills, you would have already done it:)

2 comments:

DC Practice Tools, LLC said...

Okay...drama mamma! Eating your hand over a McD's hamburger is a bit extreme. Although, I would opt out too. But if Park says; "grandma can we go to McD's"? Of course I'm going, because I would do ANYTHING for him! Now that's some drama!
Going to lurk I mean look ;) *read and encourage* at Bridgett's blog now!

Bridget said...

If you won't eat a hamburger, I guess I'll have to make you more cookies. Do you think it might be possible to gain another 5 pounds before the big day? By the way, I too felt the world was ending as I wrote the first post for the blog-You are so funny-