Wednesday, April 29, 2009

All Wrapped Up

So, I haven't posted a What Works For Me Wed. post in a really long time because frankly this pregnant brain forgets any creative ideas that cross it's path long before they ever make it to fruition. And I would do some memory exercises or something if I wasn't already so busy focusing on not being ridiculously clumsy.

Yesterday, I was hanging a shirt on a rack and the next minute I found myself on the floor, surrounded by that entire rack of clothing. Not only did my pride take a beating, but I ended up with a huge knot on my leg for a parting prize.

Or there was the moment at McDonald's that I was filling up a cup of water when it mysteriously jumped out of my hand. Seeing my embarrassment, as the kind worker bent to the floor to clean up the mess, he sweetly assured me, "It is no big deal, Miss."

However, I don't think he still felt that way when the next cup I was refilling slipped from my hand a SECOND time and drenched his entire head. Not even my fuzzy brain can forget the horror I felt in that moment.

But somehow in all the clumsiness I managed to stumble across a helpful idea. I've always heard that necessity is the mother of all invention and this one definitely came out of desperation.

It was eleven o'clock on Sunday night when I realized that although I had miraculously remembered to buy a gift for the birthday party we were attending the next day, I had failed to buy anything to wrap it in. Even my trusty gift bag storage box was devoid of packaging that could help me out last minute.

So, in an effort to avoid getting up early to go to the store, I came across a large sheet of white butcher paper in the art closet that Park had painted a few weeks back. I had intended to throw it out, but thankfully hadn't gotten around to it.

I cut it like wrapping paper and was amazed that it ended up being cuter than anything I could have purchased. So, from now on, our birthday gifts will be sporting a personalized touch.

(Assuming that I actually remember to use this trick next time around.)

Maybe we should wrap up a gift for that poor McDonald's worker....



11 comments:

Kelli said...

What a GREAT idea! I love the personal touch it adds to the gift.

AnnG said...

Cool idea!! Nothin' like a personal touch for a gift! or even it's wrapping paper!

Amanda @ Mommy's Idea Book said...

That turned out really cute. My son loves to paint. He would think wrapping a gift in his painting is the coolest thing ever.

Autumn said...

That is much better than store bought paper!

annies home said...

very pretty and gives me a simple idea for my son

Cindi @ Rustique Art said...

Love it! And Park can wrap my next B-day gift in his artwork. Lolli would love that too! And GiGi! And Aunt Autumn, and.....you get the picture! ;) you'll never have to buy paper again...just a large roll of butcher paper and tons of paint!
Soooo Cool!

Heather said...

That's great!

Judy said...

It's beautiful. I absolutely LOVE it! You have such a way of making things both memorable and personal.

Heather said...

This is a FANTASTIC idea....and look how cute it turned out!

David said...

Britt, that is super cute! One time I had a similar thing happen to me. I let the kids put their painted handprints all over white paper and I painted the words, "From Our Hands to Yours". It was a hit!

Carissa Boyd said...

The paper is cute, yes. But for me, the real gem in this post is the mental picture of your McDonald's scene. I'm SO sorry that happened to you... but it just made me laugh out loud! I'll pray that an extra measure of gracefulness will be returned to you. Amen!