Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wedded Rings

Yesterday, Park curled up with me in bed with a stack of books so high, I wondered if we would finish them before Chris got home from work 10 hours later. We read and read, until he eventually got distracted by my wedding ring.

"I know who gave that to you," he said matter-of-fact. "Gave me what?" I asked, absentmindedly. "That wedded ring," he continued, while pointing to my left hand. "Jesus bought that for you."

"Well," I corrected him, "Daddy actually bought it for me, but Jesus gave me Daddy, so you are on the right track."

He thought about that for a minute and then excitedly exclaimed, "Jesus gave me Daddy, too, so maybe I'll get a wedded ring for my birthday! Then I'll be so big, I can marry you and Daddy."

I could hardly hide my smile at the innocence of his simplistic logic. "Well, buddy," I responded, "I'm not so sure you can do that."

Undaunted, he replied, "You never know, Mommy. Daddy says I can do anything I sit my behind to."

Even though you got the wording wrong, you certainly understand Daddy's message loud and clear, little man. There is no doubt you will accomplish anything you set your mind to!

One day, Jesus will give you an incredible woman to marry and she will most assuredly enjoy hearing this story at the rehearsal dinner. Until then, you can simply admire mine and Daddy's "wedded rings" and we will bask in the idea that (at least for now) you think we hung the moon.

By the way, the feeling is mutual, my love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm delurking to say that is just too precious! "Anything I sit my behind to" completely cracked me up.

Susan

Chrys and Mike said...

PRICELESS.

Chrys

Ingram Gang said...

As I was reading, I too thought...what a brilliant and sweet wedding story to share some day. Park just set himself up for that one! :)

raenette said...

I love this story. I love when parents get to have these talks and conversations with children. What a blessing they are in our lives.